Monday, 14 June 2010

Shinjuku Incident

Just finished watching Shinjuku Incident starring Jackie Chan and I'm not sure if I can say I liked it since it is not my type of film but it was definately worth watching. The story involved Japanese gangs Yakuza and illegal Chinese immigrants in Japan.

Unlike the usual Jackie Chan movies where they are humourous with plenty of kungfu. This movie was dark, serious and absolutely no kungfu but instead, plenty of violence. Jackie plays a illegal Chinese immigrant who arrived in Japan to find his girlfriend. However only to find that Japan was not an easy place to live, with cops around during the days and yakuza ruling during the nights.



This movie touched on issues like Japan and it's yakuza influence. Kinda like Russian mafias, their existence has placed them in a unmoveable spot within Japanese society. Sure if they break the law, cops has the authority to arrest them however if they were uprooted entirely then Japan would not function as they are now.

Other issues like racism definately comes up in these type of movies. Obviously if you are an illegal immigrant nobody really cares about you and your social status will be at the lowest of low. However if the numbers increase and orders start to form then the host nation will then view you as a threat.

Well I would like to talk more about the movie but then it would be like writing my NCEA lvl 2 essay on films. It is also time for me to sleep, things I've learned from this movie would be... life is really about the choices YOU make, certain events can force you to make harsh decisions and uhh dont do drugs, it really fucks you up, you can see it in the movie. XD I would give this movie quite a high rating like 7/10 although it wont be in my favourite films or watch again list lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment